Post Bachelor’s Certificate in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
For teachers and professionals teaching and working with English language learners.
As the population for whom English is a second or third language continues to grow, there is a critical need for educators, school professionals, and other health and human service professionals to possess the skills to effectively support English language learners. Loyola University Maryland’s 12-credit fully online synchronous certificate in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program is designed to address that need, assisting professionals—such as teachers, special educators, school administrators, school counselors, psychologists, reading specialists, or anyone working with English language learning clients or students—to develop practical skills and theoretical knowledge necessary for effective expertise in bilingual teaching, learning, and assessment.
Class Duration: 8 weeks
Delivery: 100% online
Next Admission Term: Spring 2024
Time of Completion: 2 semesters
Explore the Curriculum
The certificate in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program focuses on both the practical and theoretical aspects of the field. The program is classroom oriented with a strong focus on sociolinguistics, literacy, intercultural communication, and the interaction of language learning and use. The ESOL program is based on a reflexive practitioner model that includes case studies, field experiences, and in-depth examination of the theories and practices that support EL students’ learning. Together, these form a dynamic backdrop against which to study English language learning in today's 21st century context.
Program participants will learn to:
identify and effectively use research-based best practices in bilingual/ESOL instruction
- articulate an understanding of the evolution of ESOL programming
- articulate an understanding of second language acquisition and literacy development
- design instruction reflecting effective assessment and learning strategies
- demonstrate sensitive and innovative instruction respecting cultural differences
- Complete 12 credits of coursework
- Maintain 3.0 QPA average
||Linguistics for Teachers of Language and Literacy (3)
||Second Language Development: Theory and Practice (3)
||Assessments in Bilingual and Second Language Education (3)
||Methods for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language (3)
Students can begin the program in the fall or spring semesters. The program consists of four fully online synchronous courses.
Upon completion of the certificate program, students will be able to:
- Receive a certificate in Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
- MSDE initially certified educators can apply for MSDE ESOL endorsement upon passing the ESOL English to Speakers of the Other Languages Praxis II #5362 exam.