NOTE: Students must attend a STUDY ABROAD 101 Information Session in order to apply.
Apply on TerraDotta
Students must submit applications through our Application Portal (TerraDotta). Once you have logged in, click on "Programs" in the menu and select the program you are interested in to begin your application!
Terra Dotta link: https://studyabroad.loyola.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Abroad.Home
Minimum Requirements for Acceptance
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 are eligible to study abroad for the semester or year. Please note that some programs require a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Students that are interested in study abroad for the semester or year are encouraged to apply by the second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break even if they do not meet the 2.75 GPA minimum so they can ask to be reconsidered for a spring program.
- Students must be able to find courses that will fit their Loyola program and allow a full time course load while abroad (15 to 30 credits).
- Students that have a history of serious disciplinary problems or that are on disciplinary probation with Loyola are not eligible for study abroad.
- Students must have a declared major to apply to study abroad.
- Students must have junior standing while abroad. Students can appeal if they need to study abroad in the spring of their sophomore year.
Two Step Process to Apply
Step 1: All students must attend one Study Abroad 101 during the fall of their sophomore year. Students are encouraged to attend program specific Information Sessions as well.
Step 2: Click the "Apply to this program" button on the page of your first choice program. Complete the online application and submit it. The deadline to apply to study abroad is December 7, 2022; students can submit applications starting after October 1st!
Please note: We must receive a complete application by the December 7th deadline.
Any applications received after December 7th, 2022 will not be considered.
To help students prepare for the Study Abroad Application process, below is the essay question that will accompany the online portion of the application:
In the Strategic Internationalization Plan of Loyola University Maryland (2017), "an Ignatian Citizen is an intellectually and civically engaged citizen who is well-informed in justice issues within and well beyond the Loyola community. Ignatian citizens offer their voice and perspective to help shape issues and affect change, embrace building bridges within the community, see local and global issues as interconnected, and recognize their responsibility to apply their Jesuit values and liberal education to make a difference in the world, including for those on the margins of society. Ignatian citizens are fully engaged in mind, body, and spirit, meeting each day listening for a higher calling, looking for a deeper purpose, and leaning into a journey that results in action and transformational change."
Which values of Ignatian citizenship above can you apply and experience from your study-abroad program?
How do you prepare and plan yourself to become an Ignatian citizen?
Students must attend an Information Session before the deadline.
Students must apply by 11:59 p.m on DECEMBER 7th, of their sophomore year in order to study abroad in the spring or fall of their junior year.
**IMPORTANT: once you submit your application with your study abroad choices, you will NOT be able to change them!
Please contact the Office of International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org to get current application deadlines for summer programs and study tours.
Please refer to our Application FAQ page if you have questions about the application process.