The Loyola University of Maryland Counseling Center offers advanced graduate students in clinical training programs the opportunity to learn and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of clinicians and fellow trainees in the fields of Social Work, Psychology, and Counseling. Our programs prepare graduate students from these various fields of mental health to work in settings addressing the needs of the current generation of college students in a University Counseling Center setting.
Our overarching training model is centered in social justice and cultural humility, where dialogue and action are infused throughout all aspects of our work. We offer supervision from a variety of theoretical orientations, some of which include:
- Relational-Cultural Therapy
- Client-Centered Approach
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Interpersonal Therapy
- Integrative Approaches
Participants are exposed to a diversity of presenting concerns reflective of national trends in university counseling and will develop clinical skills that are transferable and applicable to a variety of mental health settings.
Values and Guiding Principles
- We are a collaborative, multidisciplinary team that values the contributions of trainees as members of our staff.
- We highlight the importance of professional development to foster life-long learning within an evolving field.
- We emphasize a diverse groups program to meet the needs of our clinical population.
- We provide a range of training experiences that include individual therapy, group counseling, and outreach services.
- We acknowledge the importance of cultural identities, intersectionality, power, and privilege in our role as clinicians and public health agents as well as the impact of systemic oppression on the mental health of all members of our community and society.
- We value the intersection of our personal and professional identities and their impact on our work.
- We aim to model professional development that is inclusive of wellness and self-care.
Please consider more detailed information about each training program to learn about training objectives, eligibility, application procedures, and more.