Generally, everything you discuss in the Counseling Center will be held in confidence within the Center. Your counselor will not even acknowledge to an outside person that you are a client. Our records are confidential according to Maryland state law and the American Psychological Association Code of Ethics.
Because email is never fully confidential, please refrain from using e-mail to communicate with your counselor about personal matters. If you contact your counselor by email, you will implicitly give permission for your counselor to reply by e-mail if he or she chooses to do so. Never use email to communicate an urgent or crisis message.
Exceptions to Confidentiality
- You sign a written request to have information released;
- Your counselor believes that you present a danger to yourself or to others;
- Your counselor has reasonable suspicion of abuse or neglect of a child or a vulnerable adult;
- The life or safety of an identified or readily identifiable third person is endangered or threatened or;
- Otherwise required or permitted by law.