In the age of information, almost every organization needs good writers. Courses and internships in the writing department will prepare you to enter the workplace as flexible, skilled professionals. This section contains job postings for writers that have been sent to the department. We will be leaving some postings up beyond deadlines as examples of the types of positions available for Loyola writing students.
Current Job Openings
Full-Time Writing Positions Available at IBM
A wide variety of co-op, intern, and full-time writing positions are usually available at IBM. Please contact Dr. Allen Brizee for information regarding specific contacts within this global technology organization: Jobs at IBM.
Faculty Research Associate - Science Communicator
The Maryland NanoCenter at the University of Maryland College Park seeks an enthusiastic Faculty Research Assistant who will share its latest discoveries in nanoscience, nanotechnology, and energy research. The position will work jointly with the NEES Energy Frontier Research Center led by UMD.
The Faculty Research Assistant will be responsible for ongoing activities including writing press releases, covering events, drafting and editing announcements and posters, and developing content for brochures, websites, social media, and a semi-annual e-newsletter. This position is also responsible for individual projects including creating short video segments. Candidates must have knowledge in recording and editing video footage and interviewing researchers for video and print materials.
A degree in Journalism, Public Relations, English, or Communications is preferred. Candidate should have some photography and/or graphic design skills, initiative to learn about research on campus, and be excited to communicate in a number of creative ways. Please contact Kathryn Tracey, Institute for Research in Electronics and Applied Physics, University of Maryland, College Park.
Full-Time Science Writer
CMNS is looking for a full-time science writer; an ideal candidate would have a background in science journalism. The writing assignments would be composition geared toward publicity and outreach (press releases, etc.), social media outlets (including composition for the website), and editing others' scientific works (academic journal articles, grant proposals, etc.). In addition to the ability to meet these writing goals, a particularly strong candidate would have a demonstrated ability to address more broadly the communications needs for the college. Interested applicants are invited to send a CV and a cover letter to CMNS Scientific Coordinator Barbara Brawn-Cinani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professional Societies for Writers
Please use the links below to professional writing organizations to explore options for writing students:
- The Society for Technical Communication "is an individual membership organization dedicated to advancing the arts and sciences of technical communication." Here is the latest information on the best locations and highest salaries for technical writers.
- The American Medical Writers Association "is the leading professional organization for writers, editors, and other communicators of medical information."
- The National Association of Science Writers "foster(s) the dissemination of accurate information regarding science through all media normally devoted to informing the public."
- The Association of Writers and Writing Programs "provides support, advocacy, resources, and community to nearly 50,000 writers, 500 college and university creative writing programs, and 125 writers’ conferences and centers."
- The National Federation of State Poetry Societies "is a non-profit organization, exclusively educational and literary. Its purpose is to recognize the importance of poetry with respect to national cultural heritage. It is dedicated solely to the furtherance of poetry on the national level and serves to unite poets in the bonds of fellowship and understanding."
When using the career databases listed here, try using the following terms to find open positions:
- professional writer
- technical writer
- professional communication
- technical communication
- science writer
- medical writer
- non-profit writing
- web writing
Databases include but are not limited to: