The Master's Plus program offers an innovative option for Loyola graduates only who want to practice independently but lack the time and resources to pursue a doctoral-level degree. This program provides students who already possess a master's degree with the specific coursework required to become licensed professional counselors and independent service providers in the state of Maryland. Students in the Masters Plus program may complete between 3 and 30 credits, but no more than 30 credits and must be graduates of the Loyola University Maryland graduate program in Psychology.
Individuals who possess a master's degree in psychology from Loyola University Maryland are eligible for the Masters Plus Program. Content area coursework must be pursued in 14 prescribed core areas. Advising and course approval are provided by department faculty and the directors of master's education, field education and the Master's Plus Program. By following the guidelines for licensure established by the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists, these programs broaden the career options and scope of practice for professional counselors. Students work with faculty to tailor a program of study that takes into account their previous course work and meets state licensure requirements. Courses may be selected from the graduate psychology curriculum, which covers all content areas required by the Maryland State Board for licensure.
LCPC Required Course Content Areas
- Human Growth and Development
- Social Cultural Foundations of Counseling
- Counseling Theory
- Counseling Techniques
- Group Dynamics in Counseling
- Lifestyle and Career Development
- Appraisal and Diagnosis of Individuals
- Research and Evaluation
- Professional, Legal and Ethical Responsibility
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Supervised Field Experience
- Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Diagnosis and Psychotherapy
- Psychotherapy and Treatment of Mental and Emotional Disorders
Course offerings for the Masters Plus program include many subjects required by the Maryland Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors to become a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC).
Possible Career Paths
Click on the links for more information on jobs and Standard Occupational Codes (SOC) related to this program:
Estimated Program Costs
- Program tuition and fees: $26,425.00*
- Program books and supplies: $1,500.00*
- Potential program externship and lab fees: $450.00*
- On-campus room and board: Not offered
*Note: Costs for the program, including tuition, fees, books, and supplies, are estimated based on academic year 2018-2019 rates ($880 per credit). Rates are subject to change.
- Financing options: Refer to the office of financial aid website.
- Median debt for program graduates: Due to privacy regulations, since fewer than 10 students completed the program in 2017-18, this information may not be disclosed.
- Program length: This 30-credit program is designed to take 24 months to complete.
- Percentage of graduates who completed this program in the time defined above: Due to privacy regulations, since fewer than 10 students completed the program in 2017-18, this information may not be disclosed.
- Job placement rate for this program: Since the job placement rate is not required by an accrediting body nor by the State of Maryland, this information is not available.
(Download this information)
Anthony Parente, M.A., LCPC
For more information contact
Traci Martino, M.S., Director of Program Operations